Saturday, September 14, 2013

I know ephesians 5 says to not have partnership with such people.. then on the other hand I read pope benedict saying we must not be selfish

Being catholic and my social life...


Hey guys ... I have a question concerning my social life.. I am a mid twenties male and it seems that most of my friends and everybody that I know are not devout catholics.. they are agood people that ihave to associate with but I know for a fact many are involved in sexual relationships outside of marriage... some drinking and the usual..

my question Is.. am I still to go out with these people? lets say I get invited to a birthday party for a man who has a girlfriend .. or to a bar with some friends that are like that..

am I to stay home all the time? if the answer is yes and to follow the church road then so be it I just don't know where to draw the line, how to balance life.. whether im living right... etc. perhaps im bad at jmaking moves .. perhaps I know the answers already and am asking stupidly..

I know ephesians 5 says to not have partnership with such people.. then on the other hand I read pope benedict saying we must not be selfish and cannot stay home selfishnly we must go out amongst people...

its hard for me to decide.. im sorry maybe I should reflect myself more, but any opinions or suggestions would help\

god bless

Reply With Quote


#2
Old Today, 12:14 pm
Zekariya's Avatar
Regular Member
Join Date: November 9, 2009
Posts: 2,645
Religion: Melkite Catholic (Church of Antioch, Byzantine Rite)
Default Re: Being catholic and my social life...

As long as you do not participate in their sin, you can hang out with them.

Q. 1. What are the 9 ways that one can participate in the sins of another person?

A. 1. They are:

1. By counsel (to give advice, one's opinion or instructions.)

2. By command (to demand, to order, such as in the military.)

3. By consent (to give permission, to approve, to agree to.)

4. By provocation (to dare.)

5. By praise or flattery (to cheer, to applaud, to commend.)

6. By concealment (to hide the action, to cover-up.)

7. By partaking (to take part, to participate.)

8. By silence (by playing dumb, by remaining quiet.)

9. By defense of the ill done (to justify, to argue in favour.)

(Note: To participate in the sins of another person means that one is just as guilty of the sin as the one who committed them. For example, if you encourage someone to have an abortion, you are guilty of the sin of abortion.)

Source: http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu102.htm
__________________
"Broken and distributed is the Lamb of God, broken and not divided, always eaten and never consumed, but making holy those who receive it." - The Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom

No comments:

Post a Comment