Saturday, September 14, 2013

Being a Catholic.... strict to the word.. I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters,

Today, 9:51 am
Junior Member
Join Date: October 15, 2012
Posts: 375
Religion: catholic
Default Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

Hello all..

I know that the word is the word orf god and that we must use it in our everyday lives...


here is a verse for my reflection and questioning...

1 Corinthians 5:9–11
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. (ESV)



at work then.. am I to not eat lunch with my fellow co-workers who I know are involved in sexual immorality?? am I to go to my car..

honestly the question I am asking may sound like I am not following the bible ,but believe me I do and can , I just need clarification
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message


#2 Report this Post to the Moderator
Old Today, 9:56 am
Regular Member
Join Date: October 15, 2011
Posts: 1,475
Default Re: Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlj_christ87 View Post
Hello all..

I know that the word is the word orf god and that we must use it in our everyday lives...


here is a verse for my reflection and questioning...

1 Corinthians 5:9–11
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. (ESV)



at work then.. am I to not eat lunch with my fellow co-workers who I know are involved in sexual immorality?? am I to go to my car..

honestly the question I am asking may sound like I am not following the bible ,but believe me I do and can , I just need clarification
I don't think you need to run to your car to eat in order to avoid them. I think what St Paul was saying was to avoid letting their immorality corrupt your life. If you're sitting around eating sandwiches and discussing last night's ball game, the top headline news story or what corporate may be doing as far as cutbacks, it's not a problem. If they start bringing up details of their immorality, then you should excuse yourself.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

#3 Report this Post to the Moderator
Old Today, 10:24 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Location: Between the Yorkers, The Hamsters, the Yankees, and Taxachusetts
Posts: 12,310
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBound View Post
I don't think you need to run to your car to eat in order to avoid them. I think what St Paul was saying was to avoid letting their immorality corrupt your life. If you're sitting around eating sandwiches and discussing last night's ball game, the top headline news story or what corporate may be doing as far as cutbacks, it's not a problem. If they start bringing up details of their immorality, then you should excuse yourself.
also remember that the connotations of EATING WITH a person back in St. Paul's time were very different from today. Back then, to be offered food (bread, water, salt, wine) was very symbolic. If you accepted and ate with a person, you in effect made an alliance with that person. At the least, the person who 'ate your salt' would be protected by you from any attacks by you or your household. If he was attacked by others, he could call upon your aid and it would be your sacred responsibility to defend him. So when St. Paul spoke of eating with them, he wasn't envisioning the 21st century cafeterias for modern workers.

Don't put yourself under any kind of obligation beyond that of normal human responsibility for another person (IOW, you can certainly come to the aid of somebody in immediate danger, no matter what his 'sins' are).
__________________
HLS Club

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

#4 Report this Post to the Moderator
Old Today, 10:43 am
Junior Member
Join Date: October 15, 2012
Posts: 375
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

ok this makes much more sense to me now thank you both posters for your response...

At work I am very cautious and prudent on the conversatiosn that go on.. when immorality conversations arise I am silent, in "Christian shield" mode and will only speak something that could bring some sort of grace... I even sometimes leave the workspace because of my shield and defence.. but now it makes much more sense..



lets say my friends are involvedid n sexual immoaritly or they converse that way.. am I to stop hanging out with them?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

#5 Report this Post to the Moderator
Old Today, 11:30 am
New Member
Join Date: August 25, 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 70
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlj_christ87 View Post
Hello all..

I know that the word is the word orf god and that we must use it in our everyday lives...


here is a verse for my reflection and questioning...

1 Corinthians 5:9–11
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. (ESV)



at work then.. am I to not eat lunch with my fellow co-workers who I know are involved in sexual immorality?? am I to go to my car..

honestly the question I am asking may sound like I am not following the bible ,but believe me I do and can , I just need clarification
May I suggest putting the verses into context?

Firstly note the words "who bears the name of brother".

Secondly the chapter goes on to say "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside "Drive out those wicked persons from among you" Chapter 6 goes on to talk about sorting out disputes between members of the church.

Thirdly the proceeding verses are about the immorality or wrongdoing that had affected the churchgoers in Corinth.

Does it look to you as if it is all about church members?

If your co-workers are members of your church, then yes, you should consider distancing yourself from them, not only to protect yourself but to ensure that outsiders do not think that the church or you condone that behavior. If they are not members of your church, protect yourself and follow 1 Corinthians 5:12 and 5:13, e.g. leave it to God.

It isn't easy. I have worked in offices where I have been unhappy at the language and if if people say excuse me then swear, I am even more unhappy, but do not say anything. After 3 years one of my old bosses (who went to a different Catholic church) said to me "I am sorry, I know you dislike swearing and I don't know how you put up with my bad language". Thanks be to God that I was able to truthfully say "It was difficult at first but then I noticed that as time went by you swore less, and now you rarely use bad language". Suffice to say, she was stunned. God certainly works in mysterious and subtle ways.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

#6 Report this Post to the Moderator
Old Today, 11:39 am
runningdude's Avatar
Regular Member
Join Date: January 20, 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,666
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlj_christ87 View Post
Hello all..

...
1 Corinthians 5:9–11 ???
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. (ESV)

...

honestly the question I am asking may sound like I am not following the bible ,but believe me I do and can , I just need clarification
Um, you have to start by reading scripture within the whole context. Unfortunately, you provided an incorrect citation, and I don't have time to track down this passage for you.
__________________
If Bathsheba, the mother of Solomon, son of David and King of Israel, was honored as Queen of Israel, what then do we make of Mary, the Mother of Jesus, son of David and King of Kings? 1 Kings 2:19
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

#7 Report this Post to the Moderator
Unread Today, 11:59 am
Trial Membership
Join Date: September 14, 2013
Posts: 1
Religion: catholi
Default Re: Being a Catholic.... strict to the word..

well this is really basic-- but from my experience-- growing up in elementtary catholic school-- it was difficult to find students with good character-- especally as we entered into pubery--

and at the catholic High School -- it was even more of a problem-- find a group of good moral catholics--

when i asked the priess and the nuns about this-- the priests just laughted -- and said how the catholic kids were probably "worse" than the other kids..

and as an adult i have left 4 different jobs in my carreer-- because the co-workers were dishonest , liars, thieves and embezzlers-- durnks and forncators--

yes it is difficult to find a fellowship of moral catholics-- out side of a church meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment